Is there food at the Ball? What about beverages?
A light taste of Louisiana cuisine is included with your ticket. This year we'll offer regular or vegetarian gumbo with rice and cornbread, and of course King Cake! Additional food items are available for purchase, in the range of $5-$8 each. There will likely be a couple of specialty drinks, available for purchase as well as a full bar, beer, & wine. Cash is encouraged to speed up transactions, and credit/debit cards are accepted as well.
I don't know what to wear! What about a costume?
Mardi Gras season is really a time for flashy and outrageous costumes. Often participants design their costumes according to the Mardi Gras Ball theme. 2012's theme was "They All Ask'd For You" - the Audubon Zoo song, leading to many zoo animal costumes. Also see some photos from the previous Mardi Gras balls on our Flickr page, and our Pinterest boards also.
Here are some local costume resources:
- Jane Clugston is the owner of “The Belfry” Mask & Costume shop at 3153 SE Belmont, 503−953−3246. Open 11-6 Thursday thru Sunday. Belfry Masks is also on Etsy for an idea of selections, or order away!
- Gumbo Gifts and Gallery 3636 N Mississippi Avenue, Portland, Oregon has fun fun fun masks, fascinators, feather headpieces, gloves, hats, and all kinds of accessories to make your Mardi Gras special.
- Helens Pacific Costumes on NE Glisan has a full range of gorgeous professional costumes for rent.
- Hollywood Vintage has costumes for rent or sale. And a huge selection of hats, jewelry, and especially vintage wear for men!
- Can't forget Lippman Party Supply in inner SE for tiaras, shiny things, and tons of costume pieces
- And oddly enough even Dollar Tree is stocking beads, dubloons, and other cheap Mardi Gras accessories!
- This just in - Halloween Warehouse on Canyon Road Beaverton has masks, costumes, and doo dahs - recommended by Krewe member!
- Top to Bottom has 2 locations in Portland - one north, and one a 82nd and Foster. Great prices on costume jewelry, shiny club clothes, tiaras, rhinestone masks, fun shoes, and inexpensive sportswear as well
Where can I park?
Street parking is available around the Tiffany Center, and at parking garages downtown. The Ballrooom is 4 blocks from the nearest MAX stop.