Is there food at the Ball? What about beverages?
Different light food items are available for purchase, in the range of $5-$8 each. There will likely be a couple of specialty drinks, available for purchase as well as a full bar, beer, & wine. Cash is encouraged to speed up transactions, and credit/debit cards are accepted. We will of course offer King Cake!!
I don’t know what to wear! What about a costume?
Mardi Gras season is really a time for flashy and outrageous costumes. Often participants design their costumes according to the Mardi Gras Ball theme. 2012’s theme was “They All Ask’d For You” – the Audubon Zoo song, leading to many zoo animal costumes. Also see some photos from the previous Mardi Gras balls on our Flickr page, and our Pinterest boards, and SmugMug.
Some ideas: Purple, green and gold are the colors of Mardi Gras, Fleur-de-lis are the symbol of Louisiana and it’s historical ties to France. Folks go bawdy with fishnets, corsets and petticoats, or classical in Marie Antoinette wigs and gowns.
Here are some local costume resources:
- Jane Clugston is the owner of “The Belfry” Mask & Costume shop at 3153 SE Belmont, 503-953-3246. Open 11-6 Thursday thru Sunday.
- Gumbo Gifts and Gallery 3636 N Mississippi Avenue, Portland, Oregon has fun fun fun masks, fascinators, feather headpieces, gloves, hats, and all kinds of accessories to make your Mardi Gras special.
- Hollywood Vintage has costumes for rent or sale. And a huge selection of hats, jewelry, and especially vintage wear for men!
- Can’t forget Lippman Party Supply in inner SE for tiaras, shiny things, and tons of costume pieces
- And oddly enough even Dollar Tree is stocking beads, dubloons, and other cheap Mardi Gras accessories!
- Top to Bottom has 2 locations in Portland – one north, and one a 82nd and Foster. Great prices on costume jewelry, shiny club clothes, tiaras, rhinestone masks, fun shoes, and inexpensive sportswear as well
Where can I park?
Street parking is available around the Tiffany Center, and at parking garages downtown. The Ballrooom is 4 blocks from the nearest MAX stop.
Where can I stay nearby?
Coming in from out of town? Or just want to stay downtown after the Ball? Here’s a map of hotels near the Tiffany Center and Downtown :